Saturday 13 October 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter


Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Title: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey ~ Book 2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publication Date: July 27 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210132
Length: 359 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Again, beautiful. They getting better as the series goes on...
Point of View: 1st person, following Meghan

My Rating: 4 Stars

The Iron Daughter was another high fantasy, action filled book.  I have given it 4 stars because as much as I enjoyed it there just seems to be something that is keeping it from being 5 stars for me.  The characters (for the most part) are written wonderfully and the world building has continued to be detailed and I am looking forward to seeing where this series will be taking me next. 

I think my biggest complaint about this book was Meghan.  I mentioned in my review for the The Iron King that Meghan has a bit of the whole 'damsel in distress' going on but then she would have moments of courage that would completely redeem herself.  But I didn't get so much of the courage in this book and she has seemed to turn into a big 'ol cry baby most of the time.

As Meghan is taken back to be held at the Unseelie Court, Ash clearly explained to her that things were going to be different between them.  She must have realized that they are not going to be sharing meals and walking down the halls holding hands... yet when Ash does not come to visit her and must say hurtful things about her in order to show his family he has no feelings toward her she is driven crazy.  She starts to think he has used his powers of persuasion to cause her to have feelings for him and that he has never cared for her.  She goes as far as to yell 'I love you' to him while his rather evil brother is there.  Really Meghan?  Are you that blinded to not see that he is having to act like this to protect you?  I also feel her feelings for Ash are just a little too much on the side of 'too big, too fast for me.  I get that she has feelings for him and this is all good and fine but she is slightly obsessed and really what does she know about him?  They have spent a handful of moments together yet it is a deeply embedded true love...

Then comes Puck.  I love Puck!  It took him a while to enter this book and I was really missing him.  Then when he does come he saves Meghan, again.  He makes a stand by her side, agrees to defy Oberon for her, again.  Puts his own life at risk for her, again.  Then finally Meghan realizes that he loves her and that it has not always been only about friendship when it comes to his feelings for her.  And what does she do? Even though she keeps saying in her head she loves Ash, she misses Ash, must be with Ash... she allows Puck to kiss her, she kisses him back and then breaks his heart. *sigh*  I thought better of you Meghan, really I did.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Ash as a character and I would not be upset if Ash and Meghan end up together. But the instant love feeling I am getting from her and her inability to tell poor Puck what she really wants is a bit annoying.

As I mentioned before the world that Kagawa has created is amazing.  You are immersed with fantastical creatures, detailed locations and vivid colors and smells.  I felt the start was a little slower paced but once it picked up it was filled with adventure and the story progressed nicely with quite a few revelations.  As this is book two of four I expected a pretty big cliffhanger and it did not disappoint.  I am happy that I get to immediately start The Iron Queen.

“Your kind of blind, you know?" Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. 
"I wouldn't defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you..."
He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. "I'd come back from the dead for you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )