Thursday 7 February 2013

Review: Truth


Faced with freedom from her past... can Claire seize it?

Can she build a new life, mend her broken spirit, become the woman she once was, and seek her own revenge? Or is it all a game? And does the game master have different plans?

How does Sophia Burke fit into the puzzle that is Tony and Claire? Will her presence affect the future of this well esteemed man? Can he dominate twice? Is that his goal?

TRUTH continues the tumultuous saga of CONSEQUENCES, introduces new players, and uncovers more intrigue. Will the TRUTH be revealed in time?

Title: Truth (Consequences ~ Book 2)
Author: Aleatha Romig | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: October 30 2012 
ISBN: 0988489112
Length: 468 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: The chess piece and board is perfect!
Point of View:  3rd person, following multiple characters

My Rating: 5 Stars

The easy part?  Giving Truth five stars.  The hard part?  Being able to write a five star review that will do this book justice.

I am going to start with a word of warning.  It will be very difficult to give a complete review without a least a few minor spoilers.   It will be even more impossible to give a review and not give away spoilers for Consequences.  Therefore, please (yes I am begging) do not read this review if you have not yet read Consequences.  Both of these books are best going into them with as little knowledge as possible.  I know writing a review that starts out by saying don’t read this review is counterproductive but I do not want to be responsible for ruining a single person’s experience of reading them without all of the twists and turns still ahead of them.

So... if you have not read Consequences do not read this review but do go and read that book immediately.  Trust me, you will not be disappointed.   And, if you have not yet read Truth then proceed with caution as there will be some spoilers.

“I know you enjoy coffee, I’d offer you some. But, the last time I got you coffee, it didn’t work out so well for me.”

Tony smirked, “God, Claire you’re something else. I can’t imagine anyone else joking about that.”

Tony... Tony... Tony... what have you done?  Truth picks up just after the end of ConsequencesClaire is in prison for the attempted murder of Tony (see, impossible to not give away major spoilers from book one, you were warned).  However, luck is now on Claire’s side and she finds herself pardoned of the crime.  She is now free with her record clear.  The bad news is that Tony had nothing to do with her release and doesn’t appear to be a happy camper about this turn of events.  Truthfully, he just doesn’t like that somebody had control over the situation and that somebody was not him.  As you know, control is everything to Tony.

“In their figurative game of chess, Anthony Rawlings had Claire in check. Every move she made, he countered.”

Normally I would go through characters one by one and point out my likes and dislikes but honestly... it all comes down to Tony for me.  At the end of Consequences I found myself confused.  Not confused in my own feelings because those were very clear to me.  I hated Tony with a passion. Hated him.  My confusion was from other people saying that they loved this man.  What was that again?   Love Tony?  Surely these people must be on drugs or were reading a different series of books because at that point in time I could not find one single spark of light in his black eyes.

Then I started Truth and it began to change.  Not all at once mind you.  There was a moment when Claire's phone rings when she is out to dinner and she answers it to hear “Good Evening, Claire” and I shivered.  Like actually shivered.  Tony is one scary person.

But then I noticed myself starting to smile when he would enter a scene.  I started to agree with things he was saying...  I mean really?  I was agreeing with this man and starting to actually like him?  How is this even possible?  Spectacular writing... that is how.  I can also freely admit that I shed a tear or two for him.  My how things change.

“It’s documented, when a person is forbidden something, once it’s available, they tend to overindulge.”

Tony met her gaze, his tone a sultry melody, “Before it is made available, a person may dream of it, long for it, and fantasize about it. Especially if they once had it and know how amazing it is.”

So... where does this leave us now?  I love Tony.  Yes there I said it and I am sure I will eventually need therapy for even admitting it out loud but somehow over the course of 468 pages my feelings have completely changed and I am now finding myself slightly obsessed with all things Tony.  Even writing this I am shaking my head...  I did not see this coming.  It is quite clear to me now that it was never Tony who was manipulating Claire's mind but rather Aleatha Romig who was manipulating mine.  Well played Aleatha.  Well played.

“Mr Anthony Rawlings had a lesson to learn and Claire claimed the role as teacher.”

I am happy to say that Claire has finally located her backbone and has in fact proven to us all that she has one, I was starting to wonder if she did.   She still infuriated me in parts but then in other parts I was immensely proud of her.   She no longer lets everybody walk all over her.   Be that family, friends or even Tony...  

“No matter how much he loved her... his need to fulfill his promise to Nathaniel would always prevail.”

We discover so much in this book.  We get to see a lot more about Tony’s past and what has helped shape the path he is on today.  We have some new characters introduced who are also tightly woven into the twisted tale of lies and truths.  After Consequences you become skilled at questioning every action and you learn to trust no one.  Every person and every action is to be put under a microscope.  This thought process has not changed. 

“I have made some bad decisions… and done some things I regret in my life… but without a doubt… what I regret the most… is divorcing you. If you tell me there is hope, that one day you’ll be Mrs. Rawlings again, I will wait.”

The ending?  I have to admit that I am okay where it ended.  Some major truths are revealed and the scene is set for the next book.  Does this mean I will be patient until it is released?  Absolutely not, I am slowly dying on the inside.  The third book, Convicted, is due out at the end of 2013.   At the time of this review there is no exact date but I can guarantee you that when that date is announced I will be requesting it off from work.  I am so eager to see how everything will play out...  oh who am I kidding?  I just need more Tony in my life as soon as possible.

“....For the first time in his life he’d dared to believe in happily-ever-after.He learned at a young age it was unattainable. Therefore, he’d never even tried... until Claire.”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine :) Thanks for stopping by my European Bloggers unite post earlier... the link you left on the linky thing isn't working :( I think you need only http:// not www

    This review made me want to read Truth right now! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine thanks for stopping by on Beck Valley Books hop I'm now following you too. I loved your review of Truth it is such an amazing book. I actually interviewed Tony and Aleatha here is the link if you are interested Tony's Interview

    I hope you are having a great weekend.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )