Tuesday 19 March 2013

Review: The Clockwork Prince


Love and lies can corrupt even the purest heart...

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, while her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will - the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers to who she is and what she was born to do?

As their search for the truth leads the three friends into peril, Tessa's heart is increasingly torn, especially when one of their own betrays them...

Title: The Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices ~ Book 2)
Author: Cassandra Clare | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: December 6 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry 
Length: 502 Pages 
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Love it.  Love Jem.  Absolutely beautiful...
Point of View: 3rd person, following multiple characters 

My Rating: 5 Stars

As much as I truly enjoyed The Clockwork Angel, I can easily say that I absolutely loved The Clockwork Prince.  This book was amazing from start to finish and I managed to read it in one sitting, only pausing long enough to eat a quick dinner.  I could not put it down and now I am so very much looking forward to The Clockwork Princess being released.  The ending is on a bit of a cliffhanger [which Clare is quite known to do] and I am glad I waited to read this series closer to the final book's release date.

“His beauty did not blaze like Will's did in fierce colors and repressed fire, but it had its own muted perfection, the loveliness of snow falling against a silver gray sky.”

You may remember from my review of The Clockwork Angel that I was unsure as to who I wanted Tessa to end up with, Will or Jem.  Nothing has changed in the fact that I have fallen more in love with both of them, each have something different about them that makes them both wonderful.  However I have now made a choice.  Will, I love you... but I love Jem so much more.

“Your place is with me. It always will be.”

Unfortunately I have a feeling that my heart is going to be broken into a million little pieces.  I know Tessa still loves Will, this is obvious so either she could break Jem's heart and go with Will still.  Or, and this would shatter me completely, Jem could die.  Even writing that makes my heart speed up faster and I feel sick to my stomach.  I don't know if I will be able to recover if Cassandra Clare kills Jem.  I will be broken.

But at the end of the day I know that either Will or Jem are going to be broken hearted and either way it is going to be so very sad.  I do really love Will and I can see why Tessa still has feelings for him.  Because in this book we have finally found out why Will always kept people at a distance and why outwardly he appeared to be so mean to them.  Then when he was finally able to open his heart to Tessa, to tell her how he really feels, it all appears to be too late.  The previous damage of being cruel and pushing her away has been done...  Honestly in any other story he would be the most swoonworthy guy and please don't think I don't love him because I do.  It is just for me, next to Jem, he is second best.

“Yes, she doesn't really look like either of us, does she?  Perhaps she's a girl who's fallen madly in love with me and persists in following me wherever I go."

"My talent is shape-shifting, Will, not acting," said Tessa, and at that Jem laughed out loud.”

The story itself has continued on seamlessly from The Clockwork Angel.  The shadowhunters are still trying to locate The Magister and to put a stop to the clockwork army they know he is creating.  This book actually only covers a span of around two to three weeks which when you think about it, a lot happens in that short span of time.  As mentioned above the ending is complete cliffhanger and I sat there for a minute just staring at the final page.  I must say that it was difficult to refrain from starting this series earlier but I am so glad I did. It has been wonderful being able to go right into the next book once I am finished with the one prior.  I am only having to wait a day before Clockwork Princess is due to be released.

“She had never imagined she had the power to make someone else so happy.  And not a magical power, either--a purely human one.”

Tessa continued to impress me, as she did in book one.  There are of course a few times where I questioned her thought process but overall I find her to be a strong character. She is never one to back down from a challenge and she is always putting herself and her ability out there to help when needed, thinking very little of the dangers involved.  She simply wants to help her new found family and however she can do that she does, no questions asked.

“I feel myself dissolving, vanishing into nothingness, for if there is no one in the world who cares for you, do you really exist at all?”


Thankfully we are able to see even more of Magnus Bane. He is such a dynamic character and has been and always will be one of my favorites.  He cares so deeply and wholeheartedly for those he calls his friends.  He puts up a good show of trying to act indifferent but we all know what a softy he is.  He also keeps the laughs coming... 

“Did you just kiss me?" Will inquired. 

Magnus made a slip-second decision. "No." 


"I thought-"


"On occasion the aftereffects of the painkilling spells can result in hallucinations of the most bizarre sort." 


"Oh," Will said. "How peculiar.”

Now, back to Jem (James Carstairs).  Of course you already know I love him but I feel I need to expand just a bit about why that love runs so deep.  Jem is probably the most caring, kind hearted and sweet character I have ever read.   I honestly do not believe there to be a bad bone in his body.  He stands up for his new family, he is devoted, he loves with all his heart, he is a great friend and dear God I really am going to never forgive Cassandra Clare if he ends up with a broken heart or worse... *sigh*

“I know," he said, looking down at himself self-consciously. "I am not-I mean, I look-"

"Beautiful," she said, and she meant it. "You look beautiful, James Carstairs.”

Okay, you probably understand my feelings now.  I love this series, I love this book, I love Tessa, I love Will and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jem.   Please if you haven’t read this series do not hesitate to start it.  I am on countdown now to The Clockwork Princess and hopefully I will not need too many tissues to dry my tears.  Please let there be a happy ending....

“He dropped his voice, so low that Tessa wasn’t sure if what he said next was real or part of the dream darkness rising to claim her, though she fought against it.

“I’ve never minded it,” he went on.  “Being lost, that is.  I had always thought one could not be truly lost if one knew one’s own heart.  But I fear I may be lost without knowing yours.”  He closed his eyes as if he were bone-weary, and she saw how thin his eyelids were, like parchment paper, and how tired he looked.

“Wo ai ni, Tessa,” he whispered.

“Wo bu xiang shi qu ni.”

She knew, without knowing how she knew, what the words meant.

I love you, Tessa.

And I don’t want to lose you.”

2 comments:

  1. Whooo! Great review. Glad you enjoyed it. I've been wanting to read this book simply because the covers are appealing so its good to know the story's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Christine! I'm glad to hear you really liked this series! Now.... ARE YOU READY FOR THE IMPENDING EMOTIONAL TRAUMA OF CLOCKWORK PRINCESS?

    I've ordered the book so now it's just a waiting game until it gets here and I can start.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )