Monday 1 April 2013

Review: Crossing the Line


Lila McCormick, Echo's best friend from Pushing the Limits, first met Lincoln Turner when tragedy struck both their lives. But she never expected their surprise encounter would lead to two years of exchanging letters—or that she’d fall for the boy she’s only seen once. Their relationship is a secret, but Lila feels closer to Lincoln than anyone else. Until she finds out that he lied to her about the one thing she depended on him for the most.

Hurting Lila is the last thing Lincoln wanted. For two years, her letters have been the only thing getting him through the day. Admitting his feelings would cross a line he’s never dared breach before. But Lincoln will do whatever it takes to fix his mistakes, earn Lila’s forgiveness—and finally win a chance to be with the girl he loves.

Title: Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits ~ Book 1.5)
Author: Katie McGarry | Twitter | Goodreads | Website | Blog
Publication Date: April 01 2013
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN 
Length: 67 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Cute
Point of View:  Alternating 1st person between both Lila and Lincoln

My Rating: 5 Stars

If you have been following my reviews then you know how big a fan of Katie McGarry I am.  She is one of the most talented authors out there and her stories not only suck you in but once you are finished, they stay with you after.  I read a lot of books and sometimes when you try to think back about them they tend to blend and converge, this is only natural.

But this is not the case with the books written by McGarry.  I can still remember Pushing the Limits and Dare You To as if I read them yesterday.  And now that I am finished with Crossing the Line, it will stay with me as well.

 “Everything is changing.  My relationships are changing, my future is changing, my feelings are changing.  My life is one big constant state of flux.  I grew up scared of spiders, bees and dark corners in dimly lit basements.  But this foe...change...it terrorizes me like nothing before.” 

You may remember Lila from Pushing the Limits, she is Echo's best friend.  I absolutely loved getting a bit more time with her.  Although we did not get to see a great deal from her before I loved her as a character.  She remained by Echo's side through everything she was going through and that alone proved she was an amazingly good person.

“Is it weird that I feel so close to you even though you're hundreds of miles away and we've only met once? I hope not. I'm glad that you're in my life. ~Lila”

Lincoln is a new character we haven't met before.  He and Lila met at Echo's brother's funeral.  Don't worry, if you haven't read Pushing the Limits yet (although I would have to ask why you haven't...) this is not a huge spoiler.  I wouldn't want to ruin anything for you.  So, they met two years ago and have been keeping in touch via letters.  Yes you read that right... actual pen and paper letters.

“I glance left, then to the right. Disoriented. Lost. Not knowing which way is home. But that's been the problem since the beginning. The root of all my evils.”

They were at that time both going through a rough time and leaned on each other and have continued to do so after.  Until something happens that causes Lila to question if everything Lincoln has ever written to her was a lie.  He sets off to fix it and to confront her face to face after two years of writing letters back and forth this will be only the second time they have ever met in person.

“Will you go outside on the 28th and watch the meteor shower?  I know what you're thinking: 3:00am? But I think it will be beautiful.  Besides, it will be cool to know that you're watching the sky at the same exact time as me. ~Lila”

I loved the thought of them sharing their life with each other via this form of communication.  In the day and age of computers, cell phones, skype... the idea of taking the time to handwrite your thoughts and feelings, post it and wait for it to be delivered and a return letter to make its way to you.  It is all very romantic.

“The entire sky erupted into hundreds of streaks of light.  I never felt so alive.  I wished that you were here with me or me with you.  But I think you were.  Call me crazy, but it was a moment, Lila, and I'm glad I shared it with you.  Even if it was from a couple hundred miles away. ~Lincoln”

McGarry's writing is again flawless and it still continues to amaze me how so much emotion can be packed into only 67 pages.  This could have easily been turned into a full length novel and I would have eaten up every word just as I did for the novella.  Although McGarry leaves Lila and Lincoln in a very good place at the end I would love for there to be another novella that would carry on their story.  Heck I would be happy with anything else because I feel like a dog with a bone when it comes to McGarry's writing.  I just can't seem to get enough.

“Her kiss is soft and warm-inviting.  We both explore, a hesitant dance as we glide over lines neither of us imagined crossing.”

1 comment:

  1. !!! I can't wait to read this!! Only 67 pages?? Oh well better than nothing :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )