Sunday 25 November 2012

Book Blogger Spotlight: The Relentless Reader


The Relentless Reader


When and why did you become a book blogger?

I just started blogging this summer so I'm a definite newbie! I had to become a book blogger, I'd run out of people in my day to day life to talk books with.  I'm on a first name basis with my local librarians and I think that even they were tired of talking about books with me!  My sister is the one who finally said, can't you find somewhere to talk about books with people that actually like books?  So, here I am.

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I asked everyone I know for suggestions.  I asked all of my Facebook friends for help.  I thought about my reading/book habits and The Relentless Reader just fit me very well.

What is your favorite thing about blogging?

My absolute favorite thing is the sense of community.  Like I said, I'm very new to the blogging world but I've been welcomed with open arms.

What do you find the hardest about blogging?

Finding a rhythm has been a bit difficult for me.  I'm still finding my voice!

Does your blog participate in any weekly features and if so which is your favorite?

The one I consistently take part in is the It's Monday! What are you Reading? meme from Sheila at Book Journey.  I've been known to jump in the Library Loot meme as well. I love that one because I'm a library advocate from way back.  I wish more people participated in that one!

What has been your favorite moment since you became a book blogger? Which review, interview or giveaway have you been most proud of?

Book Blogger Appreciation Week just wrapped up.  That was so much fun!  I found a lot more blogs to follow and heard about a lot more books.  That was a week full of favorite moments. Oh my poor tbr pile! ;)

Also, I've started a semi-regular feature on my blog about the books that I fell in love with before I was a blogger.  Those posts are fun to put together.

What kind of genres do you enjoy reading and reviewing the most?

My favorites are literary fiction, the classics, historical fiction and just about any type of non-fiction.

What is your favorite individual book or series? What makes you love it so much?

I once read a quote that said asking a reader to pick her favorite book was like asking a mother to pick her favorite child ;)  My favorite reads change from year to year.  I have to mention The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett though, that one knocked my socks off and will probably always be at the top of my list.  It is chock full of fantastic characters and the story sweeps you along.  It's an amazing tale.

Who is your favorite fictional male character, why and from what book or series are they from?

Hands down, Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird.  I want to marry him!

Who is your favorite fictional female character, why and from what book or series are they from?

I recently re-read Gone With the Wind so Scarlet O'Hara popped into my mind.  She's an awful, selfish brat of a woman.  I love reading about her, it's almost a love to hate her kind of thing.

Who are your favorite three authors and why?

Dickens is the funniest/wisest author I've ever read. Austen books always take me to a time of beauty.  Follett writes the best epic stories and I always learn from his works.

If you could turn one book or series into films, what would you pick and who would you cast as the main characters?

I get nervous when a movie is made out of a book that I like! But I would love to see The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern made into a movie.  I just did a bit of googling and guess what?  It IS being made into a movie, ha!  I don't think the cast has been picked/revealed yet though.  I hope the filmmakers do it justice!

What are you reading right now?

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Paper books or ebooks?

So far I've resisted the lure of the e-reader.  I view myself as an old fashioned girl at times.  But I think I'm going to crack soon and order the new Kindle that was released in October.

Which would be your favorite place to read? Curled up on a cold day in front of a fireplace, in front of a window on a lovely overcast rainy day or outside on a hammock on a warm summer’s day?

Oh, definitely in front of a fireplace on a cold day.  I'm a Wisconsin girl, it's a good thing I don't mind the cold weather!  And there is nothing better than being snuggled up with a good book.

Milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate?

Milk chocolate... mmmmm!

Coffee or hot tea?

Coffee please, and lots of it!

Would you like to give any other details about yourself? How can others find you around the web? Such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc...

Blog: http://therelentlessreader.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheRelentlessReader
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JenHartling

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read this interview with Jen. She is such a terrific commenter on my blog and many others. She's a real asset to the book blogger community.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )