Sunday 2 December 2012

Review: Deity


Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

Title: Deity (Covenant ~ Book 3)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: November 6 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
ISBN: 1937053148
Length: 360 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Still love the covers of this series but this is not my favorite.  I was loving just the different flowers and each flower had been mentioned in that novel but now we have the back of Alex's neck.
Point of View: 1st person, following Alex

My Rating: 5 Stars

I do not even know where to begin.  I was concerned with my review of Pure (book two) because I had given Half-Blood (book one) 5 stars and I wasn't sure how I was going to get across the point that Pure was even better but I could still only give it 5 stars.  Now I have read Deity and I have to say, I was blown away!  My socks have well and truly been knocked off.  Even now, the day after I finished it, I am just sat shaking my head at how awesome it was.  Okay, I am going to try to write my review now and not sound like a crazed fangirl.

My same warning applies, this is a series and it is hard not to give away bits and pieces from previous books so please continue with this in mind.  However, I do my best not to have reviews filled with spoilers because I know how much that bothers me when reading reviews.

I feel I must start first with an apology.  Aiden I am so sorry that I ever doubted you.  I admit that I fell for Seth in Pure and there is a part of me that is holding out hope that his story will end better than I now fear it will but Aiden.. I love you!  Again, I can only apologize for my brief period of insanity.

As with all of Armentrout's books I found myself utterly immersed within the world she has created and I was going through every emotion possible along with the characters.  I was finding myself fidgeting and having to move around while reading because there was just so much happening.  I was happy, sad, shocked, I laughed, cried and many times it felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

The love triangle is still in full force but here is my thought about this.  I feel that Half-Blood was our way of getting to know and love Aiden.  Pure was our way of getting to know and love Seth.  And now with Deity it is time to make your choice.  I can officially say I am on the Team Aiden bandwagon now 100% and there will be no getting off this ride.  I'm not saying I want Seth's story to end badly but I in no way shape or form want Alex and him together.  oooOOOooohhh and there is plenty of swooning in Deity.  Some really really really great scenes!

Alex grew up so much in this book.  There was far less of the "OMG what are you doing" moments with her.  Even though there were still "Holy Crap" moments when it came to her thought process and reasoning but thankfully Aiden was there to stop her in those moments.  We find out more about her family and there is some closure with old friends which was badly needed.

I feel I should also give a shout out to the side characters in this series.  Marcus (Alex's uncle) really made an impression on me in this book.  I was unsure as to him previously and he has really stepped up.  Leon... I always thought there was something up with him and we do find out what that is.  I have to say I was shocked, did not see that coming at all.  Deacon (Aiden's younger brother) is wonderful.  We get to know a lot more about him and it was great being able to be closer to him and to see a bit more into his and Aiden's relationship.  Luke is still awesome!  He really does make me laugh. 

I have always been a huge fan of Greek Mythology.  The Gods, up until now, have kept to themselves and out of the way.  I was so excited when they started making appearances, I was like a giant fangirl.  I even found myself muttering "omg, omg, omg" in a couple of the scenes.  To give you a hint about one particular God, the scene was set when the ocean started to form tall walls of water that slowly started to twist and turn into funnels.  I know this makes me incredibly lame but it was as if a rock star was making an appearance.

Now to the ending.  Holy crap!  Authors should not be allowed to end books in this manner, it should be illegal.  Apollyon is due to be published on April 9th, 2013.  I know it sounds ages away but really if you stop to think, that is only 128 days.  Oh... who am I kidding?!  I need that book like I need air!  Thankfully I do have one novella to read next, Elixir and it is from Aiden's POV which should be fun.  Off to start it now.

“I can’t keep pretending that I don’t want this – that I don’t want you.  I can’t. Not after what happened to you.  I thought… I thought I’d lost you, Alex, forever.  And I would’ve lost everything.  You are my everything.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )