Tuesday 10 September 2013

Review: Origin


Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything. But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? And will they even be together?

Title: Origin (Lux ~ Book 4)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website | Blog
Publication Date: August 27 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Length: 400 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Not a fan.  Which is sad because I love all of the other covers in this series.
Point of View: Alternating 1st person between both Katy and Daemon

My Rating: 5 Stars

Opal, the cliffhanger that was heard around the world.  It has been a long and hard eight months, but it is finally here.  We now have Origin in our hot little hands, or in my case on my Kindle.  So why was I so nervous to start it?  Because my heart was ripped out of my chest eight months ago and I was scared that it would happen again.  But I pulled up my big girl panties and dived back into the awesomeness that is Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series.

“Did you think you could stop me?  I'll burn the world down to save her.”

First let me just say that it was an absolute joy to finally be inside Daemon's head.  Don't get me wrong... I do and always will love Katy.  She is one bad ass heroine that I have mucho respect for.  But finally, FINALLY, we are able to crawl around inside Daemon's head.  What a glorious place it turned out to be. 

Fierce love and devotion does not even begin to describe the feelings he has for Katy.  We all knew it, even though it did take him three whole books to get the three little words out... but the love he has for her is epic.  I think I fell even more in love with Daemon Black, which before I started Origin I would have said was impossible.  We get to see his compassion, his love for not only Katy, but for that of his family, and the hatred that comes from betrayal.  Yep, you read that right.  Blake's previous betrayal is nothing compared to what goes down in Origin.  I was shocked, and even now thinking about it... wow.  Did not see that coming at all.

“I promise you that this isn't going to be our future, Kitten.  I will give that to you—a normal life."

Her eyes glistened.  "I don’t expect a normal life. I just expect a life with you”

As I said earlier, Katy is bad ass.  There really is no other way to describe her.  She has gradually grown-up as the series has continued on.  She stands up for not only herself but for those that she loves.  You feel her love for Daemon, her fear of what the future holds, and the pain that comes from the thought that her mother is suffering because of her absence.  She is such a strong character.

“I want a years-worth of seconds and minutes with you.  I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up.”

We get to meet some new characters in Origin, but we also get to find out a bit more about some of the old ones.  Most importantly, Luc.  He has always been a mystery to Daemon, but we finally get to find out exactly what he is.  I was like a kid in a candy shop as the story and truth started to unfold.  I was stuck somewhere between jumping up and down, and sitting on the edge of my seat.

There is a fair bit of tragedy in Origin.  Namely the above mentioned betrayal and the results of that betrayal.  Can I just say that I have never been more hyped up while reading the last 20% of a book... ever.  I went from tears of happiness, to mouth wide open shock, to despair in no time at all.  If the end of Opal was the cliffhanger that was heard around the world, then the event that brings upon the catastrophic events at the end of Origin, will forever be known as the betrayal heard around the world.

But, it wasn't all doom and gloom either.  I laughed a lot.  How can you not with Daemon around?  He was his perfectly snarky self.  He is the king of one liners and proved it again and again in Origin.  He has some great banter and even in desperate situations, you find yourself smiling when he is around.  You just know that there is going to be some classic Daemon dialogue.

“Sometimes words were cheap.  They could be powerful, but in those rare occasions like now, words meant nothing.”

I've seen mixed reactions to the ending of Origin.  Some are calling it a cliffhanger, others are saying it isn't.  I for one have to say that I think it ends in a huge cliffhanger.  In fact, I think it pretty much rivals that of the ending of Opal.   Yes, I am serious.  You know how I mentioned my mouth wide open in shock a few sentences ago?  Yeah, it was back and in full force when I reached the final page.  I even had to backtrack a couple of pages and read them again to make sure I read it correctly the first time.

However, as there is one final book left in this series, Opposition, I fully expected a huge cliffhanger.  If there is one thing I know about Jennifer L. Armentrout, it is that she loves to keep us guessing at what is going to happen next.  There is no doubt that I will be reading Opposition as soon as it is released.  We have not even made it out of 2013, and it is already one of my most highly awaited books of 2014.  I need to know what happens next, and I need for Daemon and Katy to finally get their happily every after.

“A certain bone-deep understanding occurred and my hand tightened around the smaller one I held.  It weren't stars we were staring at.  The sky was falling.”

MORE QUOTES FROM ORIGIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )