Thursday 7 June 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Grey


Title: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades of Grey ~ Book 1)
Author: EL James
Publication Date: May 26 2011
Publisher: Vintage
ISBN: 1612130291
Length: 362 Pages
Link to SynopsisGoodreads
Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

My Rating: 5 Stars

When asked about this book there are two responses. They are either "I absolutely loved it" or "I absolutely hated it". The question is, which category do you fall into? It really is that black and white, there is no grey (pun intended).

Which category did I fall into? I absolutely, positively loved and adored this book. My emotions completely ran the gambit while reading it. I laughed, gasped, smiled (many times) and even cried.

So why is it so black and white with Fifty Shades of Grey? The negative reviews seem mention the writing style of E.L. James. Honestly this did not seem to phase me at all, I even went into the book with this thought in my mind. Yes there are repetitive moments and I do believe Ana says 'Oh My...' a few too many times but then at the end of the day it didn't really bother me all that much. As this book is being told by Ana and we can all admit she is a very naive, innocent girl, I felt the style of writing was actually how Ana would be speaking and thinking in her head. I have never known myself to say 'Oh My...' but when I think of the situations that she found herself in I could see how this is a thought that would be in her head. So again, I was not at all phased by the writing or the style, I found it very easy to read and it flowed nicely.

Are the characters believable? In the world they have been written into... yes. Is it all that believable in the 'real world'... probably not. This is a work of fiction and therefore you are allowed to enter it's world and forget about your own for a little while.

Does this book have sex? Of course it does, you probably wouldn't be reading this review if you didn't already know that. Is this book only about sex? Absolutely not. This is a love story. A love story between a shy, self conscious girl and a broken, messed up boy. But I have faith they will help each other as the story progresses and that they will be happy. Am I a hopeless romantic? Yes Sir I am!

What can I say about the main characters... Christian and Anastasia (Ana)? I love them. It is that simple for me. I love them. I love how they interact with each other and found the eMails back and forth very funny. I love how one moment there is giggling and happiness and then the next it is all moody and thoughtful. I love how you can see them both growing together, helping each other and I want nothing more than for them to ride off into the sunset together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )