Sunday 30 September 2012

Review: Girl of Nightmares


It’s been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can’t move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they’re right, but in Cas’s eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he’s seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he’s asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong... these aren’t just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn’t know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn’t deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it’s time for him to return the favor.

Title: Girl of Nightmares (Anna ~ Book 2)
Author: Kendare Blake
Publication Date: August 7 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
ISBN: 0765328666
Length: 334 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Beautiful!  Anna looks stunning around all the red.
Point of View: 1st person, following Cas

My Rating: 4 Stars

There is absolutely no way of writing any kind of review for this book without giving away spoilers from the first book in the series, Anna Dressed in Blood.  Even reading the synopsis gives away some of the first book so please read this review with the WARNING that you should read Anna Dressed in Blood first.

This book was bitter sweet for me.  I knew from the start that Anna was not going to be playing as large a roll in this book, at least not in the same capacity as before.

Very little time has passed since the last book ended.  We find Cas trying to move on from Anna but having a hard time forgetting her.  It is more than just the feelings he has for her.  He knows she is not where she is supposed to be.  She is appearing to him in dreams and even in broad daylight, but she just dies over and over in front of him in horrible ways.  He is miserable and knows he has to find where she is and how to get her out, the only problem is that nobody seems to know how to do this.  Or at least nobody is willing to give him answers.

The trio are still together, Cas, Thomas and Carmel.  The characters are really what make this book.  They are so well written and you care about what happens to them.  Cas is still as funny as ever, he really makes me laugh.

There is plenty of gore and spine-chilling moments!  I think because I had just read the first Anna I knew a bit more of what to expect so I was still spooked but I didn't find myself as freaked out.  Don't get me wrong there are some major spooky parts and there is one part where I really had to take a minute.  It got so crazy but a good kind of crazy.

The ending.  What can I say about the ending?  I feel I must put my feelings in a spoiler tag, please only read on if you dare...

Spoiler Alert :

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Really? *sigh*

I mean I had no idea what I expected. When you really think about it how would a relationship work between Cas and Anna? But this doesn't mean I can't be upset, right? I am a happy ending kinda girl. I like the smiles and rainbows.

I am not ashamed to say I cried. When I think about it though I know they will both end up being happy. I like the idea that Blake puts out there... that where we go in the end is our happy ending. Anna was going back to her Victorian house, Cas was there on the porch calling her to go for a walk in her happy ending. Oh no, the tears are going to start again.
I have read other reviews that have said there are no future books in the series planned.  With the ending the way it is I wouldn't see how there could be so this is probably a good thing.  I am sad that there will be no more Cas, Thomas and Carmel though.  I will miss them.

“She crossed over death to call me. I crossed through Hell to find her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )