Monday 28 January 2013

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer


Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer ~ Book 2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: October 23 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 1442421797
Length: 546 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Love it! Every cover in this series is amazing.  There are no underwater scenes but it is spooky how fitting it actually is.
Point of View: 1st person, following Mara 

My Rating: 5 Stars

As soon as I completed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I started to prepare myself.  The dreaded Sophomore Slumps, The Middle Child Syndrome... whatever you want to call it I had braced myself for the worst because it is rare that the second book in trilogy lives up to the first and even more rare that it surpasses the first.

Now that I have finished The Evolution of Mara Dyer I am sat wondering why I ever allowed myself to worry. 

“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them.  If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.”

The Evolution of Mara Dyer was amazing... if not more amazing than The Unbecoming.  Normally I try to write my reviews immediately after finishing a book but in this case I have had to force myself to wait.  I needed time to process everything I had read and to be honest it took me a couple of days to start something new, this rarely happens.

My emotions were on high alert for this entire book.  I thought that The Unbecoming was suspenseful but man... it has nothing on book two.  Even now, days after finishing it I am having trouble coming up with a way to put everything out there in this review.  I just don’t want to ruin any part of this book for anybody who will be reading it.  It is definitely one that you are best going into with as little idea about the events so that you can thoroughly enjoy it first-hand. 

I want to first give further praise to Michelle Hodkin.  She is absolutely amazing.  The writing is flawless and leaves you guessing all the way through.  Even though we are in Mara’s head you will find yourself second guessing what is happening and you will even stop and wonder if it is even happening in the first place.  I mean how is that even possible?  We are in Mara’s head how can we not have all of the answers as to what is happening?  How?  It is because the writing is phenomenal.

“Everyone is a little crazy. The only difference between us and them is that they hide it better.”

This book gave me the creeps, but in a great way of course.  What frightened me the most you ask?  That spooky, scary as heck doll.  I hate dolls.  Every single time this doll came into the scene my heart started racing.  Plus there are crows falling from the sky, crazy people, stalkers, mental hospitals... *shiver* Creeptastic to the max and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

“The people we care about are always worth more to us than the people we don't.  No matter what anyone pretends.”

I mentioned in my review of The Unbecoming that I love Mara’s family and these feelings have not changed.  I love how they are doing everything they can to be there for Mara.  They appear to have no clue at what is really going on and even though you want to scream at them to really stop and listen to her I wouldn’t expect them to do anything differently.  And Daniel...

“My brother cleared his throat.  "I wish she knew that I think she is the most hilarious person on Earth.  And that whenever she's not home, I feel like I'm missing my partner in crime."
My throat tightened.  Do not cry.  Do not cry.
"I wish she knew that she's really Mom's favorite--"
I shook my head here.
"--the princess she always wanted.  That Mom used to dress her up like a little doll and parade her around like Mara was her greatest achievement.  I wish Mara knew that I never minded, because she's my favorite too.”

Who wouldn’t want Daniel as a brother?  He is so supportive of Mara and he never gives up on her.  He has become friends with Noah and trusts him wholeheartedly.  He helps Noah and Mara spend more alone time together when her parents want to keep her under lock and key.  He knows that being with Noah is helping Mara even though he doesn’t truly understand why they need each other so badly.

“You can't hurt me the way you think you can.  But even if you could?  I would rather die with the taste of you on my tongue than live and never touch you again.  I'm in love with you, Mara.  I love you.  No matter what you do.”

Now on to Noah... of course if you read my review of book one you will know that Noah is my new book boyfriend.  I repeat my earlier statement that every fictional boy to come after these books will be judged by the Noah standard.  I didn't think it was possible but I have actually fallen even further for him now.  He really opens up in The Evolution.  We learn so much more about him and as always he is there for Mara when she needs him.  He knows how to be there but not in a way that is overbearing.  I. Love. Noah. Elliot. Simon. Shaw.

“The boy is destined for greatness, but with you, he is in danger...You must leave him. This is what I have seen."
"I can't," was all I said to her, and quietly.
"Then you will love him to ruins," she said, and let my hands go.”

And the ending?  Holy Christ on cracker.  Seriously it should be illegal to end a book like that when the next is not out for a year.

So now... we wait.  The Retribution of Mara Dyer is due to be published on October 22, 2013.  Simon & Schuster has announced that there will be no ARCs (advanced reading copies) released.  They do not want there to be any spoilers leaked before publication and I completely understand that.  There are too many questions that will need to be answered and I for one would rather not accidentally find something out.   

What does this mean then?  It means that we will all be finding out the end together which is actually really cool.  I for one have already asked for October 22 off from work.  I know I will need to start this right away... my only decision now will be if I stay up till midnight when it gets put on my Kindle or do I wake up really early on the morning of to start it.  Decisions... Decisions...

“They rattled my cage to see if I'd bite. When they released me, they'd see that the answer was yes.”

3 comments:

  1. Oh I need to read the first book soon, your review is so exciting <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series, but I've heard some amazing reviews about this book including yours. It juts makes me want to go to the library and borrow it straight away and I think I might as well... :D The cover is really something from what I've seen around of YA books but it sounds like a areas I would enjoy especially the sound of Noah ;) Lovely Review Christine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHH A DOLL??? A DOLL??? I read this from your review and I still bought it anyways. It's coming in the mail this weekend.

    So, I was highly anticipating your review. And of course, it did not disappoint. OMIGOSH I CAN'T EVEN WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK!
    And yet, I'm ridiculously nervous as well! I'm just so nervous...SO NERVOUS.

    And a DOLL. CREEEEPPPYYYY!!

    Basically, I'm excited. Have you noticed yet? haha ;)

    Again, GREAT review, darling! <3

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )