Sunday 21 July 2013

Book Blogger Spotlight: The Indigo Quill


My name is Lis Ann (pronounced like Lisa without the "a") and originally I am from Battle Creek, Mi. But right now I live in Springfield, MO with my husband and our two fur babies.

My partner in crime, Carolynn, still resides in our hometown with her husband.

When and why did you become a book blogger?

Well, I've been blogging ever since like, 7th grade (OpenDiary, anyone?). I recently decided to start a Book Review blog because, well, I love books and love blogging. Apparently I should've started sooner because it's just exploded since!

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Funny story. We have recently been decorating our house and I got a ton of cheap furniture on Craigslist to up cycle and paint. I painted our entertainment center and coffee table this rich, bluish color and looked at the name of the paint. It was called "Indigo Midnight" so when I was thinking of a name, this is how the thought process went: "Indigo. That's a cool word. Now I need something writerly. What's writerly? …a quill! Quills are writerly! We shall be called The Indigo Quill!" And thus I set forth!

What is your favorite thing about blogging?

Gosh, that's a tough one. I mean, other than the fact that I may never run out of books to read, I love all the great people we get to connect with and help out. As aspiring writers, it helps us to feel not so alone, and hopefully our fellow authors as well.

What do you find the hardest about blogging?

Turning down people's work. It breaks our hearts. I mean we want everyone to succeed and when we have to turn down an author because they didn't ensure their work was polished enough to be public-worthy, it's an email we always dread writing.

Does your blog participate in any weekly features and if so which is your favorite?

YES! Currently we do a segment every Saturday called "Cinematic Saturdays" where we compare a book to its (often tragic) movie adaptation. It's a lot of fun. Actually, we just did a video review on the Twilight series. Which, if you are a Twi-hard…you may hate us for it. lol I'm thinking of a couple more segments to add, but we are currently working on an entirely new project we can utilize to provide emerging authors help in the publishing process.

What has been your favorite moment since you became a book blogger? Which review, interview or giveaway have you been most proud of?

Well, our Twilight review was pretty entertaining. I mean, it's basically 30 minutes of a bash fest (again, sorry Twihards!!) but we had so much fun with it. Plus it was our first video so we have all those wonderfully awkward quirks in there. Like me laughing awkwardly throughout the whole video...

Other than that, I really enjoyed interviewing R.T. Kaelin for his book Progeny. He was a lot of fun to work with and I was able to have some unique moments with his interview.

What kind of genres do you enjoy reading and reviewing the most?

That's tough. I try to be a well-rounded reader, so I like a lot of them. I guess if I had to choose ONE, it would be Christian Fiction. I'm a total sucker for Karen Kingsbury. I also love classics like Jane Austen. But I also love books I can learn from, like we've done some cookbooks and even a book on interpreting Dreams. All the fun and unique ones that I think sets us apart as a blog. I really didn't answer your question…sorry…lol

What is your favorite individual book or series? What makes you love it so much?

Harry Potter. Always. J.K. Rowling is a literary genius who did endless amounts of planning and development. I mean, she created her own world. The fact that she wrote some books that were IN her books is seriously awesome (Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, Quidditch Through The Ages).

However, I REALLY wish she would write "Hogwarts, a History." Sigh. Maybe someday.

Who is your favorite fictional male character, why and from what book or series are they from?

This is tough. Umm. Michael Hosea from "Redeeming Love." Holy crap am I in love with that man!

Who is your favorite fictional female character, why and from what book or series are they from?

Hermione Granger. She is my literary parallel. Anal and obsessive compulsive just like me. In high school, my friends and I associated with the HP Trio. We even made videos…parodies…we're trying to get a hold of them so we can post them on the blog. lol!

Who are your favorite three authors and why?

Wow this is really hard! Obviously J.K. Rowling, previously stated. Karen Kingsbury because she writes things that people can really relate to. Victor Hugo. Wow. Talented and innovative. If you haven't seen/read Les Miserables, you need to. Right. Now.

If you could turn one book or series into films, what would you pick and who would you cast as the main characters?

Redeeming Love. It would be so tragically beautiful.

Cast?
Angel: Rachel McAdams
Michael: Sam Worthington
Duke: Robert Carlyle (totally creeps me out as Rumplestilskin in Once Upon a Time!)
Miriam: Camilla Belle

What has been your favorite book of 2013? Why did you love it?

Okay, it's been a little bit of a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoyed the "Blood and Snow" series by RaShelle Workman. I couldn't stop reading. It was a serious issue. That one and "Sparkly Green Earrings" by Melanie Shankle, that was good for a laugh!

What books are you most looking forward to in 2013?

Well, I've been trying to get into "The Selection" series, but I was #16 on the waiting list at the library!! Still waiting so I can read "The Elite"!

Paper books or ebooks?

PAPER BOOKS. Anyone else like to smell the pages? Or is that just me?

Where is your favorite place to read?

Anywhere in nature.

Milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate?

White chocolate! I've had this thing for cookies n cream candy lately.

Coffee, hot tea or hot chocolate?

Coffee. With lots of cream and sweetener. Really, it's my excuse to have dessert first thing in the morning.

Would you like to give any other details about yourself? How can others find you around the web? Such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc...

Blog: http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheIndigoQuill   @TheIndigoQuill
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheIndigoQuill
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/TheIndigoQuil

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this feature! We love Rainy Day Reads! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )