Thursday 18 July 2013

Review: The Mighty Storm


A rock-and-roll love triangle…a music journalist’s story of a lifetime…the bad boy front man who broke her heart.

Tru Bennett was just fourteen years old when her best friend and first love, Jake Wethers, moved from England to America and left her brokenhearted. Now twelve years later, Jake is the world’s biggest rock star, lead singer of The Mighty Storm and every woman’s bad-boy fantasy. Every woman, that is, except Tru.

A successful music journalist, Tru knows better than to mix business with pleasure. But then she receives the assignment of a lifetime: interview Jake before his band launches its highly anticipated world tour. Tru vows to keep the meeting strictly professional—but nothing can prepare her for the sparks that fly the moment their eyes meet again.

Now Jake wants Tru to join the band on tour, offering her a behind-the-scenes exclusive that any journalist would kill for. There’s just one problem: Tru’s boyfriend, Will. Can their relationship withstand Tru hitting the road with rock and roll’s most notorious womanizer? Or will she risk it all for a second chance with the one who got away?

Title: The Mighty Storm (The Storm ~ Book 01)
Author: Samantha Towle | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: August 20 2013
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Length: 417 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: There is another cover for this book out there, but this is my favorite of the two.
Point of View: 1st person, following Tru.  However, there is a bonus chapter 're-telling' from Jake's POV at the very end.

My Rating: 4 Stars

I am going to be completely honest with you, I was so nervous to start The Mighty Storm.  I knew that the sequel, Wethering the Storm, was due out in August and I didn't want to be left on a huge cliffhanger.  I have also found myself reading some rather high drama and intense books lately, and I was scared this was going to fall into that category.  Well what can I say now that I'm finished?  I am so glad I didn't wait any longer...

“Trudy Bennett, I love you beyond any lyrics I could ever write, or any words I could ever say.  I always have, and I always will.”

I have become overly critical of heroines as of late.  It is all too often that I find myself rolling my eyes, and or screaming at my Kindle.  I am very happy to report that I never resorted to this with Tru.  I have come away from the novel actually really liking her.  This is not to say that she is perfect... in fact she can be pretty insecure and wishy washy sometimes, but on the whole I got where she was coming from.  I was relieved that when the inevitable drama reared it's ugly head she handled things well.

I am NOT a fan of women who constantly run away.  Runners annoy me.  They know what they are getting into, or should I say who they are getting into bed with at the start, yet they always run when something bad happens.  I think that with The Mighty Storm, this was the first time ever where I was actually willing  a woman to run.  Yep, I am as shocked as you are.  Not run away forever... of course not.  But at the time I felt it best and agreed with the decision.  This is a huge breakthrough folks.  I should also add that she made me laugh quite a few times.  She tends to argue, in a funny way, with herself in her head.  More than once I laughed out loud as she went back and forth with herself.

“I’ve only ever loved one girl, Tru – and that’s you.  It’s always been you.  I loved you from the moment I knew how to love.”

And Jake?  *sigh*  Sweet as can be, hot as hell, and messed up beyond words.  I love my book boyfriends, and never for one minute believed that any of them could have me telling the girl to run for the hills... but Jake surprised me.  When things are great... wow they are GREAT.  Attentive and sweet do not even cover it, he is just completely amazing.  But when things are bad... watch out.  I don't want to get into what happens to cause the downward spiral because it will give too much of the story away.  But he has some pretty big issues that I fear we have not seen the last of.

“I’ll never be good enough for you, I know that. But I’m no good without you, and if that makes me a selfish bastard for wanting you as badly as I do then so be it because I can’t live a life that doesn’t have you in it.”

As mentioned above, Wethering the Storm is set to be published on August 20th, 2013.  I for one am counting down to it.  Don't worry though, this isn't because of some big cliffhanger left here.  There is obviously more to be told of Tru and Jake's story, but the ending was in a good place.  I see plenty of tension and drama on the horizon for these two, but I hope they handle it all as well as they did this go around.

Oh, and I saw on Samantha's website that book two is told again from Tru's point of view, but that there are a few chapters in Jake's perspective.  This makes me very happy, and even more excited for the release.

MORE QUOTES FROM THE MIGHTY STORM

1 comment:

  1. I ordered this book last night. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Now I'm even more anxious to start it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )