Thursday 25 July 2013

Review: Frigid


For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

Title: Frigid (Frigid ~ Book 1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout writing as J. Lynn | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website | Blog
Publication Date: July 15 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Length: 240 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: It really is beautiful, however I can't understand why he has his shirt off in the cold...
Point of View: Alternating 1st person between both Sydney and Kyler

My Rating: 4 Stars

First things first, how did I not know that Frigid was told in dual POV?  I have been counting down to this release for what seems like ages, but when I started it and saw that... I was even more excited.  I may have actually squealed a little.  True story.

Frigid has a completely different feel to it from other Jennifer L. Armentrout / J. Lynn books.  I felt it to be a much lighter or fluffier read than her other stuff.  I'm not saying this is a negative thing.  I really enjoyed Sydney and Kyler, and it was actually a bit of a relief to not have huge emotional back stories for the characters to work through.  The only thing to work through here was Kyler being such a man whore.

“No one could replace me in his life.  I knew that… I was Kyler's best friend.  And because of that, he would never love me the way I loved him…  Girls were like flavors to him and I wasn't one he wanted to taste.”

Boy, can this guy get around.  There were a couple of times when I actually winced a little at the thought of what Sydney had to endure throughout their friendship.  This is a classic case of best friends both loving each other but believing the other doesn't hold those type of feelings for the other.  Sydney chooses to not date, like ever... where Kyler decided if he can't have Syd then he would make his rounds with every other girl.  Like, all of them.

“Yeah, she had me.  I was all hers.
In reality, even though I’d been with everyone else,  I’d always been Syd’s.”

There is also a little bit of  a mystery to the story, somebody is wreaking havoc on the house they are snowed into.  Although, I have to say there really is no mystery.  It's pretty obvious who is behind what is happening, but that didn't stop me from wondering what was going to happen next.

As this is Jennifer L. Armentrout writing as J. Lynn, you know you can expect one thing.  Steam.  And she did not disappoint.  The sparks between Syd and Kyler are evident from the start, and once they finally get on the same page... things really heat up.  There are some seriously steamy scenes.

“Sometimes words weren’t enough— they couldn’t cover the feeling.  This was one of those times.  So I closed the distance and kissed her, putting everything I felt for her, every promise I made her, into that one kiss.”

There is also the inevitable misunderstanding that takes place.  This plot twist is written into the New Adult bible and must be followed religiously.  But, I am thrilled to say that after the small bit of drama, there is a happy ending.  I think some people are a little worried, because there is a second book in this series expected in 2014.  I can guarantee there is no cliffhanger here, and everything with Sydney and Kyler is wrapped up quite nicely.  I haven't seen any news about the second book, so I can only assume it will follow some of the other characters that we meet in Frigid.

“How you’ve always felt?”
“I’ve loved you my entire life,” he said, eyes locked on mine.  “And I would love you for the rest of my life if you’d let me, Syd.”

MORE QUOTES FROM FRIGID

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know there was going to be a second book. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )