Thursday 4 July 2013

Review: The Education of Caroline


Ten years after their broken affair, Sebastian and Caroline meet again: this time in very different circumstances, against the background of the war in Afghanistan.

Now a successful journalist, Caroline meets Chief Sebastian Hunter, US Marine.

Will this chance encounter rekindle the erotic madness of her passionate affair with a younger man?

Title: The Education of Caroline (The Education of... ~ Book 2)
Author: Jane Harvey-Berrick | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: February 7 2013
Publisher: Self-Published
Length: 375 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Perfect with the series, but I liked the cover for book one a bit more.
Point of View: 1st person, following Caroline

My Rating: 4 Stars

First things first, I need to get something out of the way. 

TEN YEARS???  T. E. N. years.  As in a lot of cases I had not read the synopsis for book two before I started.  I almost died.  Ten years.  I am still in shock.  My heart hurt.  Like it actually, hurt.  Ten friggin years.

“There were so many things Sebastian and I had to work out: we'd both been single for so long that blending our lives together wasn't going to be easy.
I'd promised Sebastian we'd find a way.  He deserved to be loved for everything he was.  And for whatever crazy reason he had, he loved me, too.”

Okay, so that little freak out is over.  Let us discuss the book.  I didn't think it was possible to fall more in love with Sebastian, but somehow it happened.  I simply love this man.

Sadly, Caroline started to annoy me a little.  I completely blame her for her and Sebastian being apart for ten years.  I know she has always worried about the age difference but I just never felt she gave a justified reason for not going back after him when she promised she would.  Then, she has the audacity to blame Sebastian for his behavior while they were apart?  In my opinion, she has no right to have any kind of opinion on how he spent their time apart.  He thought she was gone, never to be seen again.  I don't hold anything he did during that time against him, she has no right to either.  Okay, rant over.

“Why didn’t you come back?” he sobbed.
“I waited and waited for you, like I said I would, but you never came back!  Why?  Why didn’t you come back?  I love you I love you I love you.”

And Sebastian... *sigh* Sebastian.  Honestly, he is just perfect.  He is such a swoonworthy character.  He has a way with words that just makes you want to melt.  He is so open and honest with his feelings.  I adore him.

What could have made it better?  Again, I am going to say that I wish this was written from Sebastian's point of view.  The Education of Sebastian was good from Caroline's perspective, but The Education of Caroline really should have been from his.  Because really that is what it is, he is having to prove over and over to her that he loves her.  Would have been great to be in his head.

“He’d asked me once if I was brave enough to take a chance on love.  I finally knew the answer.  “I love you, too, Sebastian. More than you’ll ever know.”

This is the last in the series, and my only major complaint would be the ending.  Sebastian and Caroline go through a lot of trauma and heartbreak toward the end.  We are left with the idea that it is getting better, and we even get a lovely epilogue.  But, I just wanted to see them a lot happier at the end.  I wanted to actually witness Sebastian being in a wonderful and peaceful place in his head before we got to the epilogue.

All in all, I can not suggest this series more.  You will fall in love with these two, your heart will beat with theirs, break with theirs and be put back together with theirs.  You will feel every emotion as they come along, and be overjoyed as their obstacles are overcome.

MORE QUOTES FROM THE EDUCATION OF CAROLINE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )