Monday 21 January 2013

Review: The Secret of Ella and Micha


Ella and Micha have been best friends since they were kids. But one tragic night shatters their friendship and their lives forever.

Ella used to be a rule-breaker with fiery attitude who wore her heart on her sleeve. But she left everything behind when she went to college and transformed into someone that follows the rules, keeps everything together, and hides all her problems. But now it's summer break and she has nowhere else to go but home.

Ella fears everything she worked so hard to bury might resurface, especially with Micha living right next door. If Micha tries to tempt the old her back, she knows that it will be hard to resist.

Micha is sexy, smart, confident, and can get under Ella’s skin like no one else can. He knows everything about her, including her darkest secrets. And he’s determined to bring his best friend, and the girl he loves back, no matter what it takes.

Title: The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret ~ Book 1)
Author: Jessica Sorensen | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: October 2 2012 
ISBN: 1939045010
Length: 316 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Sexy! I love Micha's lip ring.
Point of View:  Alternating 1st person between both Ella and Micha 

My Rating: 4 Stars

What a touching and fantastic book.  Ella and Micha are wonderful characters and the story flowed perfectly.  By the end there is nothing more that you want than to see these two together forever and happy.  They have been neighbors and best friends for almost their whole lives until something happens and Ella decides the only way forward for her is to leave everybody she knows behind.  So she disappears.  For eight months she is gone... until one day she is forced to return home to face those that she left.

“Micha, this is who I have to be otherwise I can't breathe.   Please just leave it alone. That fire might exist, but I want it gone.”

I loved Ella.  She is a strong character and I completely understood her.  She faced a traumatic event and even though running away was not an easy decision, she saw it as her only option.  When she came back home I felt she handled it incredibly well.  She did her best to carry on with the new persona that she had created for herself but once the walls started to crack she let herself experience the feelings she had been trying for so long to push aside. 

“See, the same old Ella still lives.”  He grins…  “She just needed a little push out.”…
“No, she doesn’t.  She’s gone forever.”
“Try all you want, but I’m bringing her back.”

Micha... of course I love him.  He has been trying to find Ella from the moment she left him on that bridge eight months ago.  He loves Ella so much and he was so sweet as he continued to show her how much he cares.  He never gave up and altered his tactics when he saw the way he was going about it was pushing her away further.  He did everything he could to get her to see that there are people that love her and that running was not her only choice.  He was patient and never pushed her.

“I love you, Ella May and nothing will ever change that.  You can push me away -run away – and I will still love you.”

The side characters were also enjoyable.  Lisa is Ella’s friend and Ethan is Micha’s friend.  I really liked their side story and from what I have seen online these two will eventually get their own story, The Temptation of Lila and Ethan.  There is no publication date set as of the time of this review but it does currently say 2013.

“You think that just because you left, it would change how I feel?  Well, guess what?  You're wrong.  I can't help how I feel.”

As for Ella and Micha, their story will continue with The Forever of Ella and Micha.  Thankfully there was no big cliffhanger and to be honest I was actually really happy with the way it ended but it appears there is more to tell of their story.  Again I can’t seem to find a publication date however it does appear that it will also be in 2013.  I would assume that this will be out sooner rather than later.  I am anxious to see how these two will end up and I really hope they will get their happy ever after.

"You're crazy if you think that you can run off and change your identity.  This unfeeling, preppy girl thing you got going on," he motions his hand at my tank top, white frilly skirt, and curly hair, "is nothing but bull shit.  You can't just change who you are on the outside and expect it to change who you are on the inside."

MORE QUOTES FROM THE SECRET OF ELLA AND MICHA

3 comments:

  1. Jessica Sorensen is seriously one of my favorite authors. I liked The Secret of Ella and Micha. I think I would have to agree with your review and hopefully the next book will be out this year. The side characters are amazing in all of Sorensen's books I have read.
    My favorite however is The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (even with the ending, ugh). I'm dying to read the next book in that series!
    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by me Lynelle Clark at
    http://lynelleclarkaspiredwriter.blogspot.com/
    Please check out my site and follow the instructions.
    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adoooore Jessica Sorensen, though I've avoided this book for the sole reason that I'm waiting for #2 to come out first. What can I say, I hate waiting.

    If you don't mind, could you check out my blog?
    http://happy-in-between.blogspot.ca/

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )