Saturday 3 November 2012

Review: Hush, Hush


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

Title: Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush ~ Book 1)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publication Date: October 13 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 184738694
Length: 391 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Awesome! Love the falling feathers and usually angel wings look fake but these look nice.
Point of View: 1st person, following Nora

My Rating: 4 Stars

I have found myself once again reading a book that seems to get very mixed reviews from my fellow book bloggers.  Well, I for one really enjoyed Hush, Hush.  Was it my favorite book of all time? No.  Was it an enjoyable read? You betcha ya!

Some people have problems with strong, macho, controlling guys.  Me?  I don't take it all that seriously to be honest.  Is Patch all of these things and probably a bit more? Yep!  Does he make for some good reading? Yep! 

Sorry, I promise you that this entire review will not be me asking you questions that I will then be answering myself.  I just want to get the point across that it is okay to think the bad boy is hot.  It is okay for a girl to fall for the bad boy.  Even one that tells her that she looks better without make-up, because let's be honest.  Most people do look better without it.  Even one that enters her mind and makes her think she is going a little crazy.  I mean we have all been there right?  Well, maybe not so much but honestly... it is just a book.  I go in hoping that I am entertained and thankfully with Hush, Hush I was. 

Let us talk about Nora because I did really like her.  There is an instant attraction to Patch but I wouldn't go as far to say it was instant love. She spends most of the book fighting her feelings she is having for him.  Those feelings start out mostly on a physical level and I mean why wouldn't they?  She may accept Patch's controlling behavior but I do also feel she is strong in her own right.  She doesn't shrink away from standing up for herself that is for sure.  Not all decisions were perfect but I have to say I believed and understood the majority of them.  She does have a bit of a habit to scream when she is scared.  Like a really loud girly scream but heck I probably would also in the same situation.

Unfortunately there was somebody that did frustrate me and that was Nora's best friend Vee.  I really didn't like her very much.  I found her overtly annoying and she made really bad decisions.  I am so glad that she was more of the damsel in distress rather than Nora.  There were several times when I just wanted to punch her in the throat to get her to shut up... maybe Nora should try that next time she just keeps twittering on and won't take the hint to stop.  Hopefully I will find her less annoying as the series goes on.

Back to Patch.  I like him a lot if you can't tell already.  I like that he is sarcastic and funny and I found myself laughing at his snide remarks.  He protects Nora even if that was not his first intentions... you can tell he cares for her and in my eyes that makes him one of the good guys!

So, with all this said I am looking forward to reading the rest in this series and I will be starting Crescendo right away.

“All this time I've hated myself for it. I thought I'd given it up for nothing. But if I hadn't fallen, I wouldn't have met you.”


1 comment:

  1. Great review! Now that Finale is out, I'm going to have a Hush Hush Marathon and read them all at once. That's one of my favorite things to do - wait until all the books in a series are out and then shut everyone out and just read until I'm done with all of them... Have I said too much? :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )