Saturday 6 July 2013

Author Spotlight: Victoria Scott



Victoria Scott

Victoria Scott is a teen fiction writer represented by Sara Crowe. She's the author of THE COLLECTOR trilogy (Entangled Teen) and the FIRE & FLOOD series (Scholastic). Victoria lives in Dallas with her husband and hearts cotton candy something fierce.

Now, tell us one thing about yourself that you do not usually include in your regular author bio.

I love gardening and playing board games. Candy Land is the bomb, but I tend to cheat.

Who and what did you grow up reading? Do you remember the first book that you fell in love with?

I grew up on RL Stine and Christopher Pike. I adored the gory stuff!

Who would you say has had the most influence over you becoming a writer?

My husband, for sure. He really pushed me to give it a shot, even though it meant living on less income.

How long have you been writing? Do you write part-time or full-time?

I’ve been writing for 2 ½ years, and I write full time now. It’s such a blessing, but it’s also lonely work.

What is your normal writing style? Do you outline and plot or do you just start writing to see where the story takes you?

I plot loosely so I know where I’m going with the story, but leave enough blank so I can enjoy the adventure.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

Including plotting and proofing, about 4 months.

What would you say is the hardest and the most enjoyable thing about writing?

Hardest is convincing yourself you aren’t terrible at writing. Most enjoyable is when you finish a scene you’re proud of.

Give us a little hint and insight into what you are working on at the moment.

I’m working on the second FIRE & FLOOD book. I never know how easy or difficult a book will be to draft, but this one is going well. It’s more intense, but follows the same template, if you will, as FIRE & FLOOD.

Now, let’s have some fun. What is your favorite pizza topping?

Artichokes!

Describe to me your most perfect Ice Cream Sundae.

Lots of vanilla bean ice cream with toffee topping and strawberries. Yum!

As a reader, do you prefer ebooks or paper/hard backs?

Hmm, I like to jump around. I love all three, but if I had to choose, I’d go with a thick paperback.

Where is your favorite place to read?

In the passenger seat of the car, with The Husband driving (and remaining quiet). Ha! 

If you found yourself stranded on an island, what is the one book you would want with you? And why?

Lord of the Flies, so I know how to handle any pesky adolescent boys that may turn up.

And last but not least, I am an animal lover. Do you have any pets? And if so, what kind and what are their names?

Fun question! I have two cats: Gizmo and Chotz.

Be sure to check out all of Victoria Scott's books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )