Friday 26 July 2013

Review: Axel


Fate hasn’t always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn’t by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door.

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?

Title: Axel (Corps Security ~ Book 1)
Author: Harper Sloan | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Publication Date: July 07 2013
Publisher: Self-Published
Length: 283 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: This is the new cover.  It's funny because at first I wasn't a fan of the old cover but then when I saw this one I felt sad that it was being changed.  I liked the idea of the the series each having a different hot guy on the front.
Point of View: Alternating 1st person between both Isabelle and Axel

My Rating: 4 Stars

I am going to be completely honest and say that Axel actually surprised me a bit.  Quite a few book bloggers I follow loved it, so I knew I wanted to read it.  But, for me, it started out a little slow.  I just had a hard time connecting with Isabelle.  But, thankfully I carried on and I am so happy that I did.

“People say karma is a bitch but I have news for you, karma doesn’t have anything on fate when she is after blood. Not a single thing.”

Once Axel came into the story, and it flipped to his point of view, I was hooked.  Holy ALPHA.  There are a lot of alpha men out there in the book world, and can I just say that Axel is right there along side them.  In fact no, he probably isn't beside them... he may very well be leading the pack.  He is hot, sexy, demanding, sexy... oh I mentioned that one... and oh so very swoonworthy.

“I have finally come to the realization that I’m not ready to let her go. Not again. And if I’m being totally honest with myself, I haven’t ever gotten over the fact that she was and always will be ‘it’ for me.”

Honestly, every man in this book was hot.  Well, except for Brandon, you are allowed to hate him.  But Axel runs Corps Security, along with four (yes, you read that right... FOUR) of his ex-Marine buddies.   Axel, Greg Cage, Zeke Cooper,  Maddox Locke, and Beck make up the five hottest band of brothers you are likely to ever come across.  These men ooze sex from their pores and the fact that each and every single one of them are going to get their own book, just makes it that much sweeter.

“Never again, Izzy West. I will never again let anyone take you from me, or anything from us.”

Now let us talk about the steam factor.  There are some flashbacks toward the beginning, but things don't really heat up until after Izzy and Axel reconnect.  This is well after the 50% mark, but man oh man is the wait worth it.  The sparks these two have coming off of them could start a fire, even when they aren't having sex the temperature in the room is increased.  And when they finally get together again?  Wow.  That is all I'll say about that.

“Hear me now, and understand me, we will talk but nothing you can say will change the fact that you and me are happening. I won’t let you go, Izzy. Never. You’re mine, you got that, Princess?”

Don't worry about this being a series, there is absolutely no cliffhanger.  As mentioned above, each book of the series will feature on a different member of Corps Security.  Next up will be Greg (Cage).  I fell in love with Greg, he has a heart of gold.  I am curious to see who it is that he will be falling for, there was a little bit at the end of Axel where he had a mysterious phone call but I can't say that there is anybody we have met that I could see him with.  As of the time of this review, Harper Sloan has given a tentative release time frame of early 2014 for Cage's release.  I am hoping this can be moved up, but if not I can guarantee the waiting will be worth it.

MORE QUOTES FROM AXEL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )