Tuesday 23 July 2013

Review: Running on Empty


I had the perfect life.

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls. Successful career.

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence.

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse.

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way.

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?

Title: Running on Empty (Mending Hearts ~ Book 1)
Author: L.B. Simmons | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: January 4 2013
Publisher: Self-Published
Length: 292 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Adorable, one of my favorites.
Point of View: 1st person, following Alex

My Rating: 5 Stars

I feel like I have been truly blessed with some amazing books over the last few weeks.  Running on Empty was exactly what I was hoping it would be.  Enjoyable, swoonworthy, and loveable.  It exceeded my expectations in every way.

“You’ll never have your happy ending unless you’re brave enough to open the book and start your story.”

I fell in love with every single character in Running on Empty.  Alex was a strong and independent woman, and Blake?  Holy butterflies.  He was amazing.  From the moment he pulled up on his motorcycle to the very last page, I was in complete fangirl mode.  Alex's friend, Harlow, had me laughing several times... but the stars of the show? Nycole, Kyndall and Rylie, Alex's three beautiful little girls.  They were beyond adorable.  I laughed with them, I cried for them... I just fell in love.

“You go on, each day, as though you’re happy and at peace with your life.  Or at least trying to convince yourself that you are.  But you also go on, each day, not really living.”

This is truly a story of friendship, heartache and coming to peace with loving again.  I think some may say that the feelings that Alex develops toward Blake, could be misconstrued as a bit 'insta love'.  But, what you have to realize is that they were best friends for years before Alex married her first husband, Derek.  So no, I didn't get an insta vibe at all.  That initial bond between the two of them was started way before they meet up again now.  It was lovely to see that rekindled friend turn into a deeper affection.  Blake never pushes Alex, and allows her to work through the emotions she is feelings.

“I feel safe.  I feel protected.  I feel relief.  I feel scared.  I feel vulnerable.  I feel desire.  I feel… Everything.”

There is a novella, Recovery, which has already been released.  Don't worry, there is no cliffhanger here, the novella is simply taking us beyond their initial happy ever after.  We will get to see that it's not always rainbows and butterflies after the final page is read.  I have no doubt they will be left in wonderful place, but I really look forward to seeing them come together and working through their new relationship.

I think it will be most interesting to see the girl's reactions.  They fell in love with Blake, but will it be the same when he isn't the fun slumber party Blake, when he is actually having to take the role as step-father.  So yes, I am really looking forward to Recovery.  I just hope that because it is a novella, there is still plenty of room for an amazing story.

“I think you look good, wearing my future.”

MORE QUOTES FROM RUNNING ON EMPTY

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )