Wednesday 29 May 2013

Review: Tangled


Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed?

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating.

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life?

Can Drew Evans win at love?

Title: Tangled (Tangled ~ Book 1)
Author: Emma Chase | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website | Author Spotlight
Publication Date: May 21 2013
Publisher: Omnific Publishing 
Length: 254 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Yep, that's Drew... perfect cover.
Point of View: 1st person, following Drew

My Rating: 5 Stars

“After this? Heaven's going to be a major disappointment.”

Where do I even begin with reviewing Tangled?  Because I am sure, unless you live under a rock (not that there is anything wrong with that), you have already heard all about how completely awesome this books is.  The last thing you need is for another book blogger to come along to tell you that you must read it.  Yeah well, guess what?  That is EXACTLY what I plan on doing because this book is one not to be missed.

So, just in case you are the one person who has not yet heard about Tangled.. yes you, you know who you are.. Think of this as a your own personal review.  A review written to get YOU to buy and read Tangled, because again.. you do NOT want to miss this.

“Then I flip Kate the finger.  Immature, I know, but apparently we’re now both functioning at the preschool level, so I’m guessing it’s okay.  Kate sneers at me.  Then she mouths, You wish.  Well—she’s got me there, now doesn’t she?” 

Tangled is so completely unique.  I mean yeah, we all know the story... the lifelong bachelor, player, womaniser who meets the beautiful, charming, sexy woman who he can finally see himself settling down with.  But what you have never read, what is so very unique about Tangled, and what makes it stand out from the rest?  The writing.  Plan and simple.  The writing.

  “Newsflash, ladies: We can’t read your thoughts.  And frankly, I’m not entirely sure I’d want to.  The female mind is a scary place to be.”

Drew's voice is so very authentic and just... real.  The way Emma Chase tells the story is unlike anything I have ever read.  The story is told in 1st person, following Drew but it is much more than that.  Drew is constantly stopping the story to point out something to you the reader.  Here is an example.

“I just got my MBA and start a new job on Monday.”

“Really? What a coincidence.  I’m a finance guy myself.  Maybe you’ve heard of my firm?  Evans, Reinhart and Fisher?”  We’re the hottest boutique investment bank in the city, so I’m sure she’s duly impressed.

Let’s just pause here again, shall we?

Did you see the rounding of this gorgeous woman’s mouth when I told her where I am employed?  Did you see the widening of her eyes?  That should have told me something.
  But I didn’t notice at the time-I was too busy checking out her tits.  They’re perfect, by the way.  Smaller than what I usually go for, no more than a handful.  But as far as I’m concerned, a handful’s all you need.

My point is, remember that look of surprise-that will make sense later on. Now, back to the conversation.

“We have so much in common,” I say.  “We’re both in business, we both like a good red...  I think we owe it to ourselves to see where this could go tonight. ”

See what I mean?  To me this is pretty darn unique, and I for one have never read a book like it.  It made Drew feel not only real, but like he was somebody I knew.  To have the character interact with the reader is pure genius.  I could easily see Tangled turned into a film.  The use of voice-overs where Drew stops the story.  You can just see the action playing out, then the entire scene freezes while Drew points out something to you, then the action picks up again.  Honestly, it made the story so entertaining and fun.

I can't even remember the last time I laughed and grinned like a crazy idiot this much.  I started Tangled immediately after work and finished it at 3:00am.  Yes I had work the next day, and no I didn't care.  There was no way I was going to be able to put it down.  My only problem was lying in bed next to my sleeping husband.  I was laughing so hard, I have no idea how I didn't wake him up.

“For those ladies out there who are listening, let me give you some free advice: If a guy who you just met at a club calls you baby, sweetheart, angel, or any other generic endearment?  Don’t make the mistake of thinking he’s so into you, he’s already thinking up pet names.

It’s because he can’t or doesn’t care to remember your actual name.”

And Drew... *sigh*  Drew...  He is something else.  A real cad, scoundrel, and whatever word you can use to describe him but in the end, as romantic, loving and sweet as they come.  My favorite kind of guy.  And Kate?  Oh, how I would love this story from Kate's point of view.  We all know how much I love the guy's perspective, and I absolutely love that this is from Drew's but I would love to get in Kate's head.  To see everything Drew was doing to win her over from her eyes, that would be so much fun.

“You’re not like anyone I’ve ever known.  I want to be with you…really be with you.  Only you.  I’ve never felt this way about anyone.  And I know I sound like a freaking Hallmark card, but it’s true.  I’ve never wanted all the things I want to have when I’m with you.”

So, as of right now Goodreads has Tangled listed as a series.  Yes, you have read that right, and I could not be any more excited.  However, what it does not mention is if Twisted, book two, will be following Drew and Kate or if some of the secondary characters will be getting their own stories.  Either way, I will read it.  Emma Chase has proven herself to be a fantastic author, and I have no doubt the follow-up will be just as amazing.  Plus, the secondary characters in Tangled were hilarious, so I am sure any of them would make for a great read.

“Old women have a thing for me.  And I don't mean a pinch-my-cheek, pat-my-head kind of thing.  I mean a grab-my-ass, rub-my-junk, why-don't-you-push-my-wheelchair-into-the-broom-closet-so-we-can-get-nasty kind of thing.

It's fucking disturbing.”

MORE QUOTES FROM TANGLED

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )