Wednesday 1 May 2013

Review: If I Should Die


I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying - to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others - so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?

Title: If I Should Die (Revenants ~ Book 3)
Author: Amy Plum | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: May 1 2013
Publisher: Atom
ISBN: 1907411046
Length: 408 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Direct from Publisher (Paperback)
Cover Love: Beautiful.  This whole series is perfect.
Point of View: 1st person, following Kate

My Rating: 5 Stars

I am so very excited to be back into the world of the Revenants.  If I Should Die has not disappointed me in the slightest and I feel that this series has gotten better, book after book.

Amy Plum has again proved she is a master of setting a scene.  Never have I read a book or series and felt as though I was there with the characters as much as I do with Plum's work.  The sights and sounds of Paris truly come alive.  Her storytelling is equally enchanting and you do honestly feel as though you are not only there but that you really do know and love these characters, as if you are the best of friends.

Kate, I want you to know that I awoke the first time I saw you.

If I Should Die picks up exactly where Until I Die left off so there is absolutely no down time at all.  If you know this series then you know that book two ended on THE cliffhanger heard around the world.  There is even a picture of a broken Nook on Goodreads that was thrown by a fellow reader when she reached the end.  So yeah, needless to say there was a huge one.  But, I was very happy to see that everything picked right up so that we could carry on with the story.

Don’t you see Kate?  I can’t be yours in any kind of real way.  But what I can promise you is that I will always be here for you, watching out for you, making sure you are safe.   And happy.

Kate really grew up over the course of this series and Vincent of course is as lovely as ever.  I refuse to post spoilers as I do not want to ruin anything.  This makes it difficult to write a review about this book just because I feel if I mention anything specific it will either ruin the series for those that have not yet started it or for those that have but are waiting to see how everything plays out.  I will say however that we learn so much more about so many different characters in this final instalment.  There are so many secrets and surprises uncovered and it made for a very dramatic read.  I was pleased with how the story played out and quite happy with the ending.

Kate, I’ll say it like this. Vincent is my best friend.  There’s not a person in this world I’m closer to.  But for the past year, I have betrayed him in my heart every single day because I want for myself what he loves the very most.

The only part of If I Should Die that really let me down was it's lack of Jules Marchenoir.  I love Jules.  I love everything about him and I am a bit saddened that he does not play a more major role in this series finale.  Obviously the parts with Jules we get to see are wonderful but I have been left wanting more.  I am hoping and praying that he will get his own book or even series, because the more of him we get the better.  I have not seen any official news from Amy Plum about a possible spin-off but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Whatever happens, remember that I will love you forever,” he says.   “Even if my spirit is dispersed and my consciousness released to the universe... whatever is left of me will never stop loving you.

I would strongly recommend the Revenants series if you haven't already started them and if you have then I have no doubt that you will enjoy this third and final book in the series.  I will miss Kate, Vincent, and all of these other characters.  But again, I refuse to say goodbye to Jules.  I will live in hope for a spin-off...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )