Saturday 15 June 2013

Author Spotlight: Kim Karr




So, tell us a little bit about yourself.

I live in Florida with my husband and four kids. I’ve always had a love for reading books and writing. Being an English major in college, I wanted to teach at the college level but that was not to be. I went on to receive an MBA and became a project manager until quitting to raise my family. I currently work part-time with my husband and full-time on one of my biggest passions—writing.

I wear a lot of hats! Writer, book-lover, wife, soccer-mom, taxi driver, and the all around go-to person of my family. However, I always find time to read. One of my favorite family outings used to be taking my kids when they were little to the bookstore or the library. Today, my oldest child is seventeen and no longer goes with me on these, now rare and infrequent, outings but I no longer need to go on them anyway because I have the greatest device ever invented—a Kindle.

Now, tell us one thing about yourself that you do not usually include in your regular author bio.

My favorite books to read before I read 50 Shades of Grey were in Mystery and Crime genre. I had fallen in love with Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan Jr so technically he was my first book boyfriend.

Who and what did you grow up reading? Do you remember the first book that you fell in love with?

When I was young, my aunt gave me her Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book collection. I read these books and fell in love with them. In fact even today when I go in an a used book store, I look for Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?

I decided to write a book because it was always something I wanted to do but never got to, until one day I said it’s now or never and started.

How long have you been writing? Do you write part-time or full-time?

When I wrote Connected I wrote part-time. But when I wrote Torn, I reduced my hours at work significantly and spent both my days and nights writing.

What is your normal writing style? Do you outline and plot or do you just start writing to see where the story takes you?

I outline and plot everything down to the chapter. I have all six books plotted out.

Do you have any quirky writing habits?

I need absolute silence while writing a scene. When I finish the scene I listen to music searching for songs to inspire the next scene.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

Connected took me four months to write part-time. Torn took me two months full-time.

What would you say is the hardest and the most enjoyable thing about writing?

The hardest part about writing is dedicating the time to it. The most enjoyable part is coming up with the storyline and seeing it to come to life.

What has been your most memorable experience since publishing your first book?

By far the most enjoyable thing has been readers contacting me telling me that I evoked all kinds of emotions as they read Connected. The fact that I was able to make people laugh and cry throughout one book makes me extremely happy.

If you could go back in time, what advice would you give to your younger self?

To take the career path you will enjoy, not the one that is expected of you.

Now, let’s have some fun. What is your favorite pizza topping?

Peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

Describe to me your most perfect Ice Cream Sundae.

Chocolate ice-cream, hot fudge, and bananas. No whipcream.

As a reader, do you prefer ebooks or paper/hard backs?

I prefer to read on my Kindle, but love to have paperbacks.

Where is your favorite place to read?

In my bed at night, comfortable in my pillows with a blanket.

If you found yourself stranded on an island, what is the one book you would want with you? And why?

Effortless because I love Kellan Kyle.

I am a huge lover of book quotes, what is your all time favorite quote from a book? And what book is it from?

I have many, but here are two of my favorites.

"You have bewitched me, body and soul."
- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"I hope she'll be a fool, that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool..."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

And last but not least, I am an animal lover. Do you have any pets? And if so, what kind and what are their names?

I have two dogs—Jazmine and Crystal. My kids named them. Jazmine for the Disney Princess and Crystal from Pokemon.

Be sure to check out Connected by Kim Karr, and be on the look out for the rest of the Connections series!


A *HUGE* thank you to Kim for taking the time to answer my questions and for being a part of my Author Spotlight.  I am on major countdown to Torn, October can not come quick enough... I need more River.  Like right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )