Saturday 13 April 2013

Review: Keeping Secrets in Seattle


Seattle hairstylist Violet Murphy always knew the day would come when her best friend Gabe Parker would want to settle down. She’d secretly wished it would be with her, but now that he’s chosen someone else—the prim, perfect Alicia—he wants Vi to be his best man.

Healing her broken heart isn’t easy, but when Violet meets Landon Harlow, a man who isn’t fazed by her funky style and less-than-delicate attitude, she takes a step in the right direction. Until Gabe’s fiancé’s gorgeous façade begins to crack, and Violet’s disturbing past comes back to haunt her, that is. Vi now finds herself armed with a series of lies that would break Gabe’s heart—and his engagement—if he knew their truth, and a secret from their childhood that could change everything.

With the wedding looming, her relationships unraveling, and the bachelor party of the century to plan, Violet must choose between a fresh start with Landon, or confronting her painful past and risking it all for a chance at a future with Gabe.

Title: Keeping Secrets in Seattle
Author: Brooke Moss | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: February 18 2013
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
ISBN: 1622668847
Length: 261 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Direct from Publisher via NetGalley
Cover Love: How cute and perfect is that? Exactly how I imagined Violet
Point of View: 1st person, following Violet

My Rating: 4 Stars

I love the feeling that washes over you when you finish a really good book.  I went into Keeping Secrets in Seattle with the expectation of a run of the mill chick lit book.  Filled with laughs, romance and quirky sidekick characters.  Yes, don't worry it had all of that but it also had a much deeper storyline than I ever expected.

“I was not only going to witness Gabe getting married, but now I would have a front and center view while doing so.  How intoxicated would I have to be to stand there without having any comprehension of what I was witnessing?  Could one actually request a lobotomy?”

I really loved Violet.  She is so much fun and exactly the type of character that you just fall in love with instantly and hold out hope that everything works out okay for her.  And Gabe is great... even though you just want to grab him by the shoulders and give him a hard shake.  Alicia, Gabe?!  Really?

“You need to understand that love isn’t all romance and flowers and great sex, Violet.”  I raised my eyebrows, but she didn’t stop.  “Real love takes work and effort and time.  Real love is willing to wait while you sort your shit out, and is still there once you get your head on straight.”

As mentioned before the side characters are fun and you end up loving them just as much.  Violet's roommates Betsy and Kim are hilarious.  And Landon... *sigh*  I felt so bad for him really.  Of course I love Violet and Gabe and of course I know they are destined to be together but poor Landon.  Although there is no mention anywhere of there being any other books in this series I wish that Landon could get his own story.  That would make me very happy.

“I couldn’t help but laugh when Landon’s round eyes met mine again.  This was my life.  A leopard print couch, a David Beckham look-alike, two lesbians, and a Felix the Cat clock.  Sure, it wasn’t the JumboTron at Safeco Field, but it was by far the most romantic thing I’d ever experienced.”

As far as the serious storyline goes, I don't want to give away too much so I won't be going into specifics but it really is a heavy but very important subject matter.  Moss seamlessly fits the back story into the present and as it unfolds you see exactly how it has effected both Violet and Gabe over the years.  This is Violet's biggest secret and the one that changed everything.

So, all in all I strongly suggest Keeping Secrets in Seattle.  It was a really quick and easy read and I managed it all in one sitting.  To be honest I was pretty engrossed in the story so there wasn't much of chance of me putting it down.

“I never stopped, you know.” His voice was quiet.
My pulse stuttered. “Never stopped what?”
He gripped the glass tightly. “Never stopped loving you.”

1 comment:

  1. Although this book may not be the genre I usually read it does sound quite interesting. I have added it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )