Friday 5 April 2013

Review: Losing It


Love. Romance. Sex. There’s a first time for everything...

As far as Bliss Edwards can tell, she’s the last virgin standing, certainly amongst her friends. And she’s determined to deal with the ‘problem’ as quickly and simply as possible.

But her plan for a no-strings one night stand turns out to be anything but simple. Especially when she arrives for her first class and recognises her hot new British professor.

She'd left him naked in her bed just 8 hours earlier...

Title: Losing It (Losing It ~ Book 1)
Author: Cora Carmack | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: January 1 2012
Publisher: Ebury Digital 
Length: 288 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Very cute, however Garrick is described as having blonde hair and Bliss as having longer curly hair.  So it is a very cute cover and the design is perfect but the models should really match the description of the characters.
Point of View: 1st person, following Bliss

My Rating: 5 Stars

This book was so much fun.  This is my first by Cora Carmack and I can guarantee that it will not be the last.  I love her sense of humor and lost count at the number of times I laughed out loud.

“An accent.  HE HAS A BRITISH ACCENT.  Dear God, I'm dying.”

As well as laughing there was plenty of swooning.  Let us just talk about Garrick for a moment.  Holy cow.  What an amazing character.  I live in England so I am surrounded by the British accent every day, therefore you would think that I would no longer be effected by it.  But see... I may live in England but I am in fact American and it still gets me.  Every time.  Although Garrick's accent is not the only reason I love him, of course not.  He is sexy, smart, sweet, so many 'S' words there but all are true.  Oh, and caring,  compassionate, funny... I could go on and on but you probably get the idea already.

“What's your name, love?"
Love?  LOVE!  Still dying, here.
"Bliss."
"Is that a line?"
I blushed crimson.  "No, it's my name."
"Lovely name for a lovely girl.”

Bliss is hilarious, even though she is not intentionally funny.  She is a complete control freak and I for one can relate to that.  She overanalyzes everything that happens in her life and gets herself into some pretty sticky situations.  I think because I understood her it didn't bug me when she did over think everything.  I just found myself laughing and thinking about how I would probably be doing the same thing.

“Bliss, I don’t normally do things like that.  But I was second-guessing everything about coming here, and you were everything I needed.  I don’t know how many times I’ve stopped myself from coming over here and knocking on your door.  And yes, seeing you with Cade was definitely motivation, but more than that…  I just like you, Bliss.  As a teacher.  As a person.  As a guy.”

Then we have the side characters.  They were brilliantly written.  I loved her friends and most of all I loved her best friend Cade.  There are a few moments when you think there may be a bit of a love triangle but it becomes clear that Bliss only has eyes for Garrick.  Cade is sadly the loser in this battle but don't feel too sorry for him... thankfully he is getting his own story, Faking It, and as of the writing of this review it is due to be published June 4th 2013.

“He stepped away from me to talk, and I leaned heavily against the wall beside his door.  Clearly, I was not meant to have sex.  This was God telling me that I was meant to be a nun.  Get thee to a nunnery, and all that crap.  I was so delirious I was confusing God and Shakespeare.”

This is the perfect book if you are looking for something fun and quick to read.  I read it all in one sitting and to be honest I never wanted to put it down.  The first 20% completely drew me in and there was no way I was stopping until I saw how it all ended.

And the ending?  I can easily say I let out the most content 'Aaaawwwwwwww' after I read the final sentence.  It was perfect and to be honest there is nothing I would change about any of it... unless of course I could make it longer because I could easily read more of Bliss and Garrick.

“Then, slowly, like the sunrise peeking over the horizon, she smiled.
She snapped the box closed.
She didn’t scream. She didn’t run. She didn’t faint.
There might have been a little crying.
But mostly… she danced.”

2 comments:

  1. Eeee! I have a copy of this and reading your review and those quotes makes me wonder why I haven't read it already! Bliss sounds hilarious, and Garrick adorable - and not because of the accent. I live in England, was born in England, and, as such, will probably never understand the fascination with British accents. :P This is a fantastic review, Christine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just could not smiling when I read this book!
    THE CAT SCENE THOUGH. THE CAT SCENE. Absolutely priceless.

    I don't know if it's possible that I'll end up loving Faking it more than Losing It, but I'm still super excited because I just really love the author's voice!

    Lovely review, Christine! Reading it and the quotes you picked made me feel all giddy and in need of a re-read. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )