Monday 15 April 2013

Review: Wide Awake


A girl.
A coma.
A life she can't remember.

When Emma Walker wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of how she got there, she learns that she's been in a coma for six months. Strangers show up and claim to be her parents, but she can't remember them. She can't remember anyone. Not her friends, not even her boyfriend. Even though she can't remember, everyone wants her to just pick up where she left off, but what she learns about the 'old her' makes her start to wish she'd never woken up. Her boyfriend breaks up with the new girl he's dating to be with her, her parents want her to start planning for college, her friends want their leader back, and her physical therapist with the hazel eyes keeps his distance to save his position at the hospital.

Will she ever feel like she recognizes the girl in the mirror?

Title: Wide Awake
Author: Shelly Crane | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Publication Date: March 22 2013
Publisher: Self-Published 
Length: 216 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Love the cover, the colors are perfect
Point of View: 1st person, following Emma

My Rating: 4 Stars

I really enjoyed this story.  I couldn't imagine waking up in a hospital and not having any idea as to who I was or who the people around me were.  To remember music, words, books, etc.. but not anything about your actual life.  Scary.

“The things we should focus on in any life shouldn’t be what we’ve lost, but what we’ve gained” 

I found Emma to be a strong character.  Not knowing who she was before and the pressure from her family and friends to try to conform to who they wanted her to be now.  They want her to remember herself as before and they try their hardest to force her to think and act a certain way.

However the more Emma learns about her 'old' self the more she realizes she doesn't really like the person she was before.  To be frank she was a spoiled brat.  Rude, needy and one of the mean girls at school.  This is not the Emma now and the drives she obviously felt before are no longer there.  She doesn't care about fancy cars, money, designer purses, or being a part of the 'it' couple at school.

“It doesn't matter who you were or what you've done in the past.  The only thing that matters is who you are right now.”

Enter Mason.  Mason is Emma's physical therapist and helps her after she wakes up.  I know what you are thinking... eewwwwww... Her physical therapist?  He is only a few years older than Emma and nothing inappropriate happens while she is in the hospital.  I was at first worried that the feelings she was having toward Mason was because of him being her carer but thankfully it never came across like that.  He is always sweet and kind to Emma and is the one person that tells her it is okay to be who she wants to be.  She doesn't have to be who her friends and family are trying to force her into being.

“I'm going to take you somewhere and kiss you until you can't think or move or breathe.”

My only issue at all with Wide Awake is that I did feel a few of the side characters were a bit unrealistic or a little over the top.  For example... in the hospital the psychiatrist that is 'helping' Emma seems to be giving her terrible advice and it appears to be stemmed from the fact that she may or may not have feelings for Mason.  And the head doctor seemed to be a little weird as well.  Emma's family has a lot of money and it just seemed like the facility had a few shady characters...  These small issues in no way stopped my enjoyment of the story but I did just want to mention that I felt some of the interactions were a little 'off'.

I recommend Wide Awake for a quick, enjoyable read.  The love between Emma and Mason was really sweet and it does have a lovely story.

“You're the girl that I'm falling madly in love with."

I felt all the breath leave me.  My mouth fell open, but no words escaped.

He chuckled.  "A speechless Emma.  That's really cute.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )