Friday 26 April 2013

Review: Leo


Evie and Leo met in foster care as children and formed a bond of friendship. As they grew, their bond turned to love and they vowed to make a life together when they turned 18 and were no longer a part of the system.

When Leo unexpectedly gets adopted as a teen and he moves to another city, he promises Evie that he will contact her as soon as he gets there and come back for her in a few short years. She never hears from him again.

Now eight years later, in spite of the odds, Evie has made a life for herself. She has a job, she has friends, she's content. Then a man shows up out of the blue, claiming that her long lost love, Leo, sent him to check up on her. The attraction between them is undeniable. But, should she trust this sexy stranger? Or is he keeping a secret about what his connection to Leo is really all about and why Leo disappeared all those years ago?

Title: Leo (Sign of Love ~ Book 1)
Author: Mia Sheridan | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website | Author Spotlight
Publication Date: March 11 2013
Publisher: Self-Published 
Length: 193 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: This is the new cover and it is simply gorgeous.
Point of View: 1st person, following Evie

My Rating: 5 Stars

I would first like to start with a huge congratulations to Mia Sheridan, what an amazing debut novel.  Leo has instantly made a fan of me, and you can guarantee that I will not hesitate to buy any of her future publications.

“I'm going to kiss you now, Evie, and when I do, it's going to mean that you're mine.  I don't care how far away from each other we are.  You.  Are.  Mine.  I'll wait for you.  And I want you to wait for me.  Promise me you won't let anyone else touch you.  Promise me you'll save yourself for me.”

I don't even know where to begin because I simply do not want to give anything away.  The characters, the pacing, the story itself... it all came together beautifully.  There is a twist, and to be fair I had my suspicions and theories early on.  But even though I ended up being partly right it didn't ruin anything for me.  The story unfolds perfectly, and all in good time.  So even if you think you have it all figured out, trust me when I say it will not take away from your enjoyment.

“We dreamed together, we planned a life together. We were so young, but we were so sure.”

Evie is one of the strongest characters I have ever read, and her story touched me.  The way she has lived her life, despite the start that was handed to her, is an inspiration.  It would have been so easy for her to continue along the path of what she was surrounded in.  But she grew up, moved out of her final foster home and made a life for herself.  She mentions in one part of the book that others may come and see her little apartment and think it small and not worth anything.  However, when she looks around she sees how well she had done for herself and is proud.  As she should be.  Really, she is just a lovely person.

“And, Evie, when you walk away from people, even strangers, you gotta know that their eyes follow you.  And I'll tell you why because I've felt it myself.  It's because they don't want to see the light that is Evie, the light that is you, walking away from them.  They want to see it coming towards them and staying with them.”

Jake is so very swoonworthy and you will instantly fall in love with him.  He has just the right amount of softness and fierceness.  He definitely has an alpha streak in him and I for one love it when that side of him comes out.  Evie of course doesn't seem to mind it either, because it seems to mostly make an appearance when things are getting hot and heavy.  oooOOOooohhh and do things get hot and heavy...  Evie and Jake have some major chemistry and you can practically feel the sparks flying off of them when they are together.

“I will prove to you that forever is not just a word, not just a measurement of unending time, but that forever is a place where I will treasure your heart.”

You may have noticed that there is a second book, Leo's Chance, that is due to be published in July.  So of course the warning bells start going off, and you are probably thinking this has a big old cliffhanger.  I am happy to report that it does not.  There is an ending, and Leo's Chance is actually a retelling but from Leo's point of view.  Sheridan has mentioned that there will be some additional unseen scenes also, and I for one can not wait for this release.  There is no exact date announced yet but I will be on the look out for it, and will not delay in starting it as soon as it is out.

I so strongly recommend that you read Leo.  You will swoon, you will laugh, you will smile, and you will probably shed a few little tears (sad and happy).  In the end you will be so very happy that you read it.

“Why are you looking at me?"  His eyes search mine for several long seconds before he holds contact and whispers, "Because I like your face.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )